Pages

Saturday 5 May 2012

Finished Project: Burgundy Pencil Skirt

Ok, so this skirt has had a bit of a transformation since Mondays post. The pattern I was using (Butterick 2115) is no longer recognisable as to be honest, my fabric choice for this skirt was all wrong.
This pattern needs stiffness, preferably wool, not a drapey suiting fabric that has a slight stretch to it.
 
I followed the instructions to begin with anyway, but after trying it on after the sides had been stitched I knew it was all wrong. If I took the skirt in and used some of that stretch it would have shown off all my lumps & bumps, which nobody needs to see!

So in an effort to not have wasted my time I unpicked the darts and replaced them with gathering stitches. I cut the length to sit at the knee, and added a side lapped zipper (my first ever go at this) and then attached the waistband as normal. Finishing it off are 2 grey buttons to secure the waistband.
 And now another confession...I broke my 'No Polka Dot' rule just a little. I've had a fat quarter of this fabric in my stash that called my name when I was looking for something to back my waistband. I succumbed, I'm sorry, forgive me?
I also haven't gotten around to taking photos of me in it yet, as I have been mega busy recently due to having secured a stall at a local vintage car show, where I will be selling my stock of vintage clothes! It's on 19th May so things may get a little quieter around these parts as I need to fix a few of these dresses before they can be sold.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend! (and Bank Holiday Monday if you're in the UK!)

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I love that sneaky polka dot, too. :-) Adds spice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! Can't wait to see it on you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the hidden polka dots! Can't wait to see it on you. :]

    ReplyDelete